7.21.2009

intro

I've been thoroughly enjoying trying some new things this summer - gardening on the fire escape with pots of zucchini, green beans, oregano, basil, and parsley - an increase in running with the addition of sprints, pushups, and crunches in the regimen - and trying new recipes, or seeing how well I do at making recipes up. As in all things, sometimes I win and sometimes I fail.

The garden is doing moderately well - the zucchini clearly needs more space, which I don't have to give. So far it has only produced 3-4 inch long zucs. The beans are tall but have yet to grow actual beans. The herbs, which admittedly I bought and just replanted in a box, are doing rather well, as far as I can tell. I've loved adding them to sauces, making pesto, throwing them in the crockpot.

Recipes sometimes turn out great - generally anything with olive oil and garlic is off to a great start - and sometimes are clearly missing the magic. But I'm gaining confidence in the kitchen and learning more about tastes and complimentary flavors... and also more about how much I enjoy the tangible, sensual (as in sense-filled) experience of the kitchen.

And running has been awesome this summer, happily. Recently I read Born To Run, by Christopher McDougall, and it was pretty big in changing my thoughts about running. I've always enjoyed running, but this book somehow brought that joy alive, or maybe just showed me what it looks like in others more dedicated to the sport than I. In any case, I've really been focusing more on running - not for any other reason other than the enjoyment. Sometimes I run to be fast, sometimes I run an easy, open run, just to hear my feet and breath. Sometimes I run to see how far I can go, how tired I can get. Sometimes I go because I need the energy. In any case, it's really helped me connect with my body, in a mysteriously healing sort of way. And adding in sprints (I'm by no means fast) has helped increase my pace on regular runs. I'm really loving pushing myself and seeing new results, not for competition or personal gain, but just in a kind of marvel at my body and what it's capable of, what it's created for.

So this blog is an exploration of some of those things, and more, I'm certain. Less of a day to day, maybe, and more of the little things I find along the way.

1 comment: